Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Cool Dessert Idea

Before I get to this yummy dessert idea, thank you to everyone who left such sweet comments on my mom's birthday post. She had a wonderful day and loved her tribute.

I thought I better get in a few more blog posts before this weekend, when I will be writing for my daughter's 12th birthday. I know, I know...as Steve Martin said in Father of the Bride 2...'What are we, the SCMALTZ family???" Yes, as a matter of fact, we are:-)

Okay, on to the fattening stuff! I don't know about you but I LOVE trifles. The point of them, I think, is they are easy to make, you make them ahead of time, they look pretty and taste great, right? Well, yesterday my new Taste of Home magazine came in the mail (thank you to my Aunt Margaret) and on the cover are 3 beautiful trifles. The whole idea is to have a "trifle bar", kind of like a make your own sundae bar, where guests create their own trifle. The dry ingredient of cake, brownie or whatever wouldn't soak overnight but otherwise it would look and taste the same as if you made it yourself. The good thing about this is each person can make the trifle they would love to eat. (And because this is my blog and I can say what I want...ladies, if you go to someone's house and they bothered to cook for you, please eat it...at least a little...and diet or work out harder tomorrow. I see this all the time and always feel so bad for the hostess. Okay, that's it for my rant...not too painful, huh?:-)

Anyway, you set out an assortment of trifle ingredients as well as small glass dishes, mugs or parfaits (mix and match) and let them have at it. Here are some suggested trifle ingredients or create your own.

CAKES:
Angel food, pound cake, quick breads (pumpkin, banana...),gingerbread, doughnut holes
FILLINGS:
Instant puddings, whipped cream, jello, mousse, pie filling
FRUITS
Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, kiwi, pineapple, mandarin oranges...
TOPPINGS:
Plain or flavored whipped cream, syrups, caramel sauce, mini chocolate chips, coconut
EXTRAS:
Mini cookies or cookie crumbles, nuts, granola...

You don't have to include everything but these are just a few ideas. Almost makes me want to have a party!



4 comments:

  1. Oh wow!! Thanks for the ideas. I just bought a trifle bowl this year (still in the box.) I was going to bring it down to Maryland this weekend to make something with fresh berries and pound cake. Perfect timing!! Have a great day.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! At least you are going for the New magazine in the mail- I pulled out Easter Dec. yesterday and started reading recipes from April 96' mag I keep in there. I keep it for Easter ideas. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I never thought of something like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made or eaten a trifle but it looks like something I would love!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do ya think? Do tell...I'd love to hear it:) Be Happy...

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Top Sites