Thursday, January 8, 2015

Things I wish I Knew How To Do.....And AMAZING Bourbon-Less Chicken.......

I suppose we all have things we wish we knew how to do.
My list would be a long one if I really thought about it.
Today's writing prompt is to list one or two things I wish I knew how to do,
so I'll go with the first few that popped in my head.

I wish I knew how to crochet.
A year or so ago, I actually found a yarn store and signed up for a class.
I didn't realize that it was ONLY knitting.........the owner didn't care for crochet.
But that was ok.......close enough.

* * * Note to yarn store owners..........
When you have a first time student, please don't scour your store for the
U.G.L.I.E.S.T color of yarn EVER.
There really are people like me who like color......... a lot of it.  And pretty color at that.
So to start with, I already hated my project.
Then, the other 3 ladies apparently were old friends/long-time customers
because y'all knew everything about each other.
So you sat and talked to them the whole time and barely remembered that I was there.........
fighting with my grotesque yarn to do the right stitches,
until I got up and came to ask you for help.
And you were only two seats away from me.
That was my one and only "class experience".   And by the time I got home,
I had forgotten how I did anything at all.
Next time, I will try to learn with online videos.
At least I can pretend they are paying attention to me;)
After all, I have so many important pieces I want to crochet
for my grandchildren someday.......
Sources:  Click on each link.....Booties,  Indian Headdress, Elsa Hat "Frozen",  Cowboy Hat and Booties
See?  SUPER important things I need to make them:)

The next thing that popped in this ol' head was this...........
I wish I knew how to ice skate.
Oh, we used to skate as kids but I can't remember that.

I think it would be a fun way to get a bit of activity in, especially when it's so blasted hot outside here, which is pretty often:)
Therefore, I start ice skating classes in February.
Seriously!
And I can't wait:)
Just hope I don't look like this on my first day!
I probably will, but that's okay.
I'm still really excited.
Because deep down, I think I could've been a really good skater;)

I started to learn to speak French,
before we went to Paris.
I learned a few phrases, but I think it's such a beautiful sounding language that I'd
like to learn to speak it more fluently.

Lastly, I have a Canon rebel camera that I want need to learn to use.
Then maybe I could stop practicing how to take selfies.
Yes I'm 50.......not 15:)
There you have it!
Things I would love to know how to do.

Moving on,  my niece visited over New Year's and told me about a recipe (and food blog)
that she loved.  The recipe is for Bourbon-less Chicken
and the blog is Jamie Cooks it Up.
Wow.......what a find.

Tonight I made it using Jamie's recipe,
and I could have eaten the whole pan all by myself.
In fact, just writing this makes me wish I had tripled the recipe!
You have to try it out.  For real!
Feel free to add some stir friend veggies, but make sure you increase your liquid amounts.
In fact, I increased my liquid anyway because I like my rice floating in sauce:)
BOURBON-LESS CHICKEN
5 chicken breasts
2 T oil
1 t minced garlic
1/4 C apple or pineapple juice
1/3 C brown sugar
2 T ketchup
1 T apple cider vinegar
1/2 C water
1/3 C soy sauce
pinch red pepper flakes

1 T cornstarch

1. Cut your chicken into small 1-2 inch pieces with some kitchen scissors. 
2. Heat up a large skillet over medium high heat. Once it is hot, pour 2 T Olive Oil into it. 
3. Add your chicken pieces to the pan and let them cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
4. The chicken will start to get a bit juicy and bubbly. 
Put the lid on the pan, slightly tilted and drain the juices out into the sink. Return the pan to the stove top and continue cooking over medium high heat. 
5. Into a medium sized mixing bowl combine 1 t garlic, 1/4 C apple or pineapple juice, 1/3 C brown sugar, 2 T ketchup, 1 T apple cider vinegar, 1/2 C water, 1/3 C soy sauce, a pinch of red pepper flakes and 1 T cornstarch. Whisk it all together until the cornstarch is dissolved and all ingredients are well combined. 
6. When your chicken has a nice brown sear on some of the pieces…
pour the sauce into the pan. Stir it around to cover all the chicken pieces. 
7. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and cover the pan with the lid at an angle to allow some of the steam to escape. Let this baby simmer away for about 20 minutes, stirring a couple of times during the cooking period. 
8. Serve over white or brown rice. 

I can't wait to try more recipes from Jamie Cooks it Up!
Guess that's it for today.
Is there something YOU wish you could do?
xoxoxoxo
Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do ya think? Do tell...I'd love to hear it:) Be Happy...

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Top Sites